The festivities continue with Easter quickly approaching!
Now is the time to start planning for the long weekend, whether it is visiting friends and family or going away for a holiday, we welcome Easter with open arms!
To celebrate this joyful season here are 5 Easter fun facts!
- The name Easter owes its origin to Eostre or Eastre, an Anglo-Saxon goddess of light and the dawn who was honoured at pagan festivals celebrating the arrival of spring.
- The custom of giving eggs at Easter has been traced back to Egyptians, Persians, Gauls, Greeks and Romans, for whom the egg was a symbol of life.
- Almost one in five children (19 per cent) say they’ve made themselves ill by eating too much chocolate over the Easter holidays.
- 70% of Easter candy purchased is chocolate.
- The first story of a rabbit (later named the “Easter Bunny”) hiding eggs in a garden was published in 1680